For My Mother
I was going through some papers last night and came across a letter I wrote to my mother a year or so ago and wanted to share it. I hope after reading this you feel compelled to share love, not just to your mother...maybe patch a bridge that was burnt long ago with a sibling, a father, or a friend. I took out the name of my friend for his privacy.
I'm sitting at work writing this to email you when I get home. I'm working tonight for a friend. His grandmother is dying and sadly will probably pass before you get this. He called to tell me how things were and that his mom and aunt are with her. My friend's mother sits with a bible in her lap reading outloud to her mother. After talking with him for awhile he hangs up to be with his family and I am left to look within myself. I think what would I do, what would I say, how would I feel? I know one day God will separate us and I think on it. Will there be screams or silent tears? Will there be "why God" or "thank You Lord for a peaceful passing"? More so, I think what will be said between us? Your hand in mine, we'll share the deepest bond no other can know but a mother and daughter. I'll tell you of all the proud moments in my life and how glad I was that you were there. I'll laugh thinking of you dressed like a cow, wearing a sign "Eat more chicken". You'll laugh thinking of me dressed like an elf. I'll say remember sewing Barbie clothes and you'll say they were too big. I'll tell you when I lost Rusty it was the deepest pain I ever felt, until now. We'll shed tears in silence, while our hearts ache for what is slipping away. I'll say, "Mom, never a match was there ever made til God put us together." You'll say, "We bumped heads often enough, but you were always loved." I'll laugh and reply, "I was quite the stuborn child." You'll laugh while saying, "You're still stubborn." And as the time grows closer, I know others will fill this room, but for now it's just us. With tears falling, we'll say I love you to one another and that we'll be together again someday. And before the depart from this world, I'll grasp your hand tight and say, "You are the best mom ever." And you'll squeeze back and say, "You are the best daughter ever." A knowing smile will pass between us and soon sleep will come and then angels will greet another soul home. I love you mom forever.
I'm sitting at work writing this to email you when I get home. I'm working tonight for a friend. His grandmother is dying and sadly will probably pass before you get this. He called to tell me how things were and that his mom and aunt are with her. My friend's mother sits with a bible in her lap reading outloud to her mother. After talking with him for awhile he hangs up to be with his family and I am left to look within myself. I think what would I do, what would I say, how would I feel? I know one day God will separate us and I think on it. Will there be screams or silent tears? Will there be "why God" or "thank You Lord for a peaceful passing"? More so, I think what will be said between us? Your hand in mine, we'll share the deepest bond no other can know but a mother and daughter. I'll tell you of all the proud moments in my life and how glad I was that you were there. I'll laugh thinking of you dressed like a cow, wearing a sign "Eat more chicken". You'll laugh thinking of me dressed like an elf. I'll say remember sewing Barbie clothes and you'll say they were too big. I'll tell you when I lost Rusty it was the deepest pain I ever felt, until now. We'll shed tears in silence, while our hearts ache for what is slipping away. I'll say, "Mom, never a match was there ever made til God put us together." You'll say, "We bumped heads often enough, but you were always loved." I'll laugh and reply, "I was quite the stuborn child." You'll laugh while saying, "You're still stubborn." And as the time grows closer, I know others will fill this room, but for now it's just us. With tears falling, we'll say I love you to one another and that we'll be together again someday. And before the depart from this world, I'll grasp your hand tight and say, "You are the best mom ever." And you'll squeeze back and say, "You are the best daughter ever." A knowing smile will pass between us and soon sleep will come and then angels will greet another soul home. I love you mom forever.
Comments
Post a Comment