How the world can change one person at a time
I decided yesterday after a long day of work that I didn't show the people I worked with how much I really appreciated them. So after a little thought I tapped on the office door of our HR person. I poked my head in and just told her how much I liked some flyers she had printed. The smile and the thank you I received told me she was glad to know her efforts weren't unnoticed. I walk away feeling pretty good. A trip to the grocery store led me to donate all the dollars I had on me to the empty stocking fund and then for a third "good deed" for the day....I offered a ride to a woman who had quite a few groceries and was riding a bike. She said it never fails someone offers a ride when I don't need one but when i do no one is to be found. I decided to make sure from now on to watch for her to make sure she did get a ride when she needed it. Are these giant leaps and bounds into saving the world? No, but they are small deeds that show others they aren't invisible and that someone cares and perhaps that small act of kindness fills their hearts with the desire to do more too. An old blanket or jacket, a sandwich, or sometimes something as simple as a hello or lending a hand can be all that someone needs to make another day. We've all had days that seemed like we couldn't go on and then someone just stops and does something so simple, yet it gives us the will to go on. This holiday season and after let us all pledge to try and do one small thing a day to help make someone elses day a little better. In doing so...your day will be better too.
-This blog is written as part of a contest to try and win a new desktop system, which would be such a nice present for Christmas. Then my hand me down system can go to someone who needs it, someone who otherwise couldn't afford a computer. Win or lose I hope my blog inspires others to give a little bit this year. You can give in more ways than money. Time is sometimes a great gift. Just spending time with someone lonely or lending a hand to someone who needs it. If you feel lead to do something don't be afraid to. It may be an angel tugging at you to help.
You are totally right - those little things can mean so much. I personally think the little things can mean as much as some big gesture or huge donation of money to an organization. A helping hand from a stranger can renew your faith. Take care!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the world of blogging. Your blog did remind me to continue to do the small thing that make this world, my world a better place. Best of Luck.
ReplyDeleteI love this! I have been trying to help my young children embrace the Christmas spirit this year through random acts of kindness. It has been amazing how simple little things can brighten someone's day and in turn, help my children see the impact of that small act. We placed stickers on candy canes that say "Thanks for Spreading Holiday Cheer." I give them to my boys and they hand them out to the salespeople, servers, and other folks that help us on our errands and while we shop. They are always met with a smile and now, my kids are looking for other ways to serve. I have been amazed at how such a little effort yields such a large return.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your inspiring post! Good luck to you in the contest. And, happy holidays!
I was a carless single mom for a long time. I had to call a cab when I made big grocery runs. My kids hated walking with bags hanging on them for three city blocks... I once told the story about how I offer rides to moms w/kids as they are walking home fromt he store looking a lot like we used to look. My friends were shocked. Would that mom really take the ride. Um, yeah, you dumb ass! Why wouldn't she? Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I hope this spirit grows in you and, YES, changes the world one person at a time.
ReplyDeleteThanks for entering my giveaway and good luck!
I am a carless single mom, and there are times I definitely wished someone would give me a ride home from the grocery store! LOL Luckily, I have a generous [ex] Husband who comes over and gives me a ride when his car is working. It's good to know that there are people out there who notice the struggles of others and do something about it, instead of just looking away.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and good luck!
Thanks for a thoughtful post--I liked that it just seemed like it was from the heart...before it was even apparent that it was an entry into a contest. You are one of many deserving entrants. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post. You certainly are making a difference. Good luck!
ReplyDelete